Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Blueberry-Licious!

 This post was supposed to be up yesterday but I was too busy going all 'Office Space' on my computer. Dang technology sometimes!
This weekend I put together my very first home-made pie...AND CRUST!!! Emphasis on crust as I love making pies but I normally buy frozen crusts. So I finally found a recipe to try & it turned out AMAAAZING!
Originally, I planned on a blackberry one but blueberries were on sale. This was also my first lattice & it looks pretty darn good!

 


Had some major issues w/crust sticking to my rolling pin. So I used my brain & rolled it out between two pieces of parchment paper... Who woulda thought, right!? :)
Oh & this is my rolling pin... a tequila bottle. Hoping for a real one for the wedding.
 
yum yum!

Yes, I know this pie with a scoop of ice cream isn't the ideal healthy dessert but .... oh how I LOVE pie!
Here's some blueberry facts:
  • Grown on bushes
  • 80 calories per cup
  • Packed vitamin C 
  • Feeling down, they're high in antioxidants
  • Improve memory
  • Michigan & Maine are top producers
  • More blueberry facts here.
Blueberry Pie Filling Recipe - super easy!
1 1/2 cups White Sugar
4 T Corn Starch  next time I'm adding one more to thicken it up a little more
1/4 t Salt
1/2 t Ground Cinnamon
5 cups Fresh Blueberries
Pie crust
1 T Butter
1 Egg

Preheat Oven 375
Mix sugar, cornstarch, salt, cinnamon & sprinkle over blueberries. Line pie dish with pie crust, then I brushed egg over the bottom to prevent sogginess. Pour berry mixture into the curst & dot with butter. Cut remaining pastry into strips & make lattice top. Crimp & flute the edges. I also brushed with butter & egg & sprinkled sugar on top. Bake for about 50 minutes or until crust is golden.

Basic Flaky Pie Crust
 1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 t Salt
1/2 cup Chilled Shortening
3 T Ice Water

Whisk flour & salt together in medium bowl.  With pastry blender (I used a fork b/c I don't have a 'pastry blender') cut in cold shortening until mixture is coarse crumbs. Drizzle 2-3 T of ice water over flour. Toss mixture with fork to moisten adding more water a few drops at a time until dough come together. Gently gather dough particles together into a ball. Wrap in plastic & chill 30 minutes. Roll out dough & put in pie plate, fill, & bake.

No comments: