Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Blue Moose

 NEW RESTAURANT #3:

The Blue Moose
3030 Wanamaker
Topeka, KS

Friday, April 27th, Paul & I were craving a new restaurant. Something in Topeka that we haven't tried yet...which these days that list is getting narrow. After a post on Facebook for any recommendations, we went with The Blue Moose. Even the name is catchy! However, as soon as we were ready to head out the tornado sirens went off. After 20 minutes of watching the news & waiting for the big red blob on the radar to pass over us we were out, no rain will stop us.
After arriving, the atmosphere was nice, very large place with lots of seating. I even noticed a room for private parties. They also have a bar area.
Price was reasonable for a nice sit-down place. Not cheap by any means. Prices ranged from a small salad for $3.99 to a pasta dish at $12.99 to Filet Mignon at $26.99.
Service was great! Very timely, checked on us but didn't hover & answered our questions.
The menu was large & had something for everybody. They have an after 10pm menu & nightly drink specials (10 bottles of wine for $10 each, $1.50 beer/draft & last nights: $3.50 Moose-ritas). I taste tested the Moose-rita -YUM!!! It looked like a blue margarita. Two things I always have to get when trying a new place: 1. Fried pickles 2. Spinach artichoke dip. This time I went with the pickles (above picture). They were horizontal slices (a first for Paul & I), the breading stuck nicely to the pickle, & the ranch dip was fabulous! Thick & a hint of garlic. Then onto our entrees. Paul & I had a hard time deciding (guess we'll have to return). Paul ended up going with a Chicken Madeira Pasta: "Sauteed chicken & mushrooms in a rich Madeira wine cream sauce. Tossed with tender Campanella pasta & Parmesan cheese." It was amazing! I, being the cheese lover I am, went with the build your own Mac & Cheese (picture below): "Cavatappi pasta tossed in our rich six-cheese sauce. Topped with garlic buttered bread crumbs." I added Pit-Smoked Ham. The sauce was delicious! The ham on the other hand, there was nothing special to it. I will add Sauteed Mushrooms & another meat next time.

For dessert, Paul went with a cheesecake & I did a trio sampler (creme brulee, peach cobbler, chocolate peanut butter parfait). The cheesecake was the more cream cheesy type, not the rich, small kind. The peach cobbler Paul liked, too many oats for my taste. The parfait was rich, but good. The creme brulee, awww-mazing!

We left with full bellies, empty pockets, leftovers, & as couple satisfied critics ;) 

If you're in the mood to try something different I would highly recommend The Blue Moose, because their menu changes up those 'regular' dishes.

No comments: