Thursday, December 8, 2011

Just a Quickie: Horse Slaughter & Stamps

As I was sitting down eating supper tonight, Paul (who knows my stance on the subject), asked if I had heard the rumor of the horse slaughter ban being lifted. I hadn't, but I also hadn't had any time lately to read any of my Ag news or blogs.
Once finished, I jumped on the PC and searched. According to multiple newspapers & ABC news, they stated that in November, Obama quietly signed a bill that would reverse the 2006 decision. The slaughterhouses may be up & running within 90 days if they are able. Note: this doesn't mean I will be heading to my nearest diner for a horse steak anytime soon. I would love to talk more about it, but I am tired at the moment (just wanted to post a quickie) AND more importantly, I am one who believes in doing their research before running their mouth... SO I would like to find out more before I say too much.
Here's just a couple of the sites I read:
 - Progressive Cattleman
 - ABC news
 - PETA  (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) - yes, they even had an article about the ban lift. They agreed it didn't work, then went on about the transportation issues & how they would like to see a ban on slaughter & exportation of live animals in order for it to work. If you read this article, remember that this group will say anything & dramatize everything to get you to believe the livestock, horse racing, rodeo, & any other animal industry is evil. Personally, I'm for 'People Eating Tasty Animals'  :)

....which brings me to another point.
         When mailing your Christmas cards out this year, please support agriculture & use the holiday stamps! There's a new stamp in town, ones with a different vegetarian (past & present) on them. Read more on my friend Kelsey Pope's agriculture blog, Ag on the Forefront.

1 comment:

Kelsey Pope said...

Thanks for the shout-out! And great comments about horse slaughter.